View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #165
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

tbh the plot points were pretty clearly GRRM. If you thought Jon was gonna end up on the throne in the series about subverting fantasy tropes idk what to say. It's pretty hilarious that he goes right back where he started and was happiest.

In fact, the last 2 seasons have basically felt like a list of bullet points that GRRM came up with, the gaps between which were subsequently filled with ham-fisted nonsense. No pacing, 100% plot-advancing dialogue, zero logistics.

Like I could see Bran becoming king, but not as a result of an impromptu back-alley council where all of the most powerful people in the world nonchalantly aquiesce to Tyrion's feeble suggestion.

I can see Dany burning down King's Landing, but her reasons were all Anakin Skywalkerish.

I can see Bron scoundreling his way into lordship of Highgarden, but not the way it happened in the show.

I can see Arya killing the Night King as an agent of the many faced God, but not a single line of dialogue was given regarding this.

The plot points were mostly fine with me, but everything that makes the plot remotely interesting has been absent. And a lot of characters were just totally ruined by rushing from bullet point to bullet point.

Contrivances like Euron and the scorpions one-shotting dragons only to be inexplicably impotent in the following episode is very obviously manufactured drama for TV, since the writers couldn't figure out a way to make it seem like the dragons couldn't just steamroll the Lannisters, which of course is what happened anyway but they had to make it... "suspenseful".

Didn't love it didn't hate it. It was. unarguably anticlimactic.

Oh and Grey Worm is fucking worthless. There were at least 8 shots of Grey Worm just scowling at Jon or Tyrion because the writers couldn't think of anything for him to say that would justify letting either of them walk after murdering their queen.

There's good shit here, just needed about 15 more episodes to flesh it out. Such a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Thanks for that, good read. The groundwork for the massacre was definitely there. I think it caught so many people off guard because of the lightning fast pace of the season and writing shortcuts.

Last edited by killtrocity : 05-20-2019 at 06:25 PM.