View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 02:05 AM   #246
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I was assuming that with all the hype regarding Rick Rubin producing that the album might actually be half decent, or at the least was void of all the production flaws we've endured over the past 10 years. But it really just sounds like more of the same.

I'm still hopeful that there will be some cool stuff on the rest of the album. I remind myself that Being Beige was my least favorite song on monuments and he lead with that too. One things for sure, whoevers managing him right now must be clueless.
rick rubin is a bullshit producer these days.
he certainly can (and has) legitimately wreck great songs with his awful production. the only reason he is still hired is because he's a brand name, a seal of approval for many people.

her'es a perfect case study for this.
same artist, same song, just different producer. first one is the original, second one produced by rubin for jake bugg's second/third album (i forget).

if you have the patience, listen to both the whole way through. the difference and lack of soul in rubin's production is staggeringly evident.

new version produced by rubin (song starts around the 1 minute mark):

the funny thing is, i happened to listen to the rick rubin version first, before i knew anything about jake bugg. it just came on the radio or tv. i didn't care for it at all and moved on, forgetting about it. only years later i heard the original, loved it and realized i had heard the same song before. terrible fucking soulless producer.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 08-31-2017 at 02:10 AM.