View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #88
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

the interview with James and Billy was a bit much

Quote:
“It’s.. well.. “, Iha begins, “it’s quite good and I think people will..”

He doesn’t get to say much before Billy Corgan, the bands leader and only constant member, interrupts him.

“I think what James is trying to say here - and I know he’s talking for the whole band and for everyone who’s heard the new material - the new pieces I’ve composed.. they’re absolutely groundbreaking and represent a paradigm shift not just for The Smashing Pumpkins and not just for rock music. If you want to talk about important events in history then there’s the birth of christ, the birth of William Patrick Corgan and the release of my.. our new EPs. I sent them to one of my friends and she called me in tears to tell me that they’d changed her life forever”.

Iha nods and says with perfect timing and an impeccable deadpan delivery worthy of TVs The Office - “Yes that’s exactly what I was going to say”. Corgan, not known for his modesty or sense of humor, leans back in his chair and smiles “See, it’s just as I said. This is very special music by a very special and gifted musician”. I realize he’s not in on the joke.

I ask James what it was like to be back in the studio with Billy and Jimmy (Chamberlin, the bands original drummer). Predictably, Corgan answers for him.

“James wasn’t really in the studio for this one. I don’t know if you know this but as well as being a word class singer, writer, poet, entrepreneur, father and businessman I’m also the finest guitarist of my generation. There isn’t really any point in having other guitarists in the studio with me”.

Further attempts at bringing Iha into the conversation are met with the same sort of response.

How are your family James? “His family are ok but not as good as mine”. What did you dream about last night James? “The same thing anyone dreams about - being William Patrick Corgan.” I try and come up with something that only Iha can answer, something that will shut Corgan up..and then it hits me:

“Does he hit you?”

Iha stays quiet while Corgan laughs.

“You’re funny, you’re real funny. Really fucking funny. Maybe you should be a comedienne? In fact I think you should because your career as a journalist is not going anywhere. I can guarantee that. I promise you. I make the call and you’re finished, you’ll never work again in this town again.”

Finally, something from Iha. A faint chuckle and “Did you really just say she’ll never work in this town again? Seriously?”.

“You can shut the fuck up James Iha. You’re lucky that you got it in the contract this time around or you’d be getting a fat lip from yours truly right now”