View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #71
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
That first Billy quote is exactly my problem with a lot of hardcore metal I've heard. After four minutes of relentless screaming, I just sort of shrug at it because it starts to feel manufactured and rote. Meanwhile, after the breakdown in TOASEarth when the heavy comes back in...it gets my blood boiling every time. That song is pretty relentless too, but there are still rises and falls in intensity, and the falls seem consciously set up to make the heavy moments feel even heavier. ...not that dynamics are any guarantee; a song still needs to be a good song to have impact.

As for Jimmy's quote, I'd always wondered about that sort of thing. Even if I was good enough to play his Geek USA part note-for-note, it would be pointless because even Jimmy doesn't devote that much time and mental effort into reproducing his studio takes live.
re:JC

A lot of times I've heard him speak, he mentions trying to be faithful to his fills that are 'signature', that are ones he hears back on the radio and wants to copy every time he plays the song, because they're integral to the song, or at least what casual fans perceive as the song*

* I'm not sure if I've ranted about this on here before, but jesus christ, the number of fans that, like, want to hear 1979, but don't start cheering until the guitar lick starts, even though JC's been doing the sig drum beat for a while....it's sad