View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistle View Post
billy said they weren't trying to do anything extraordinary and described zeitgeist as a 'hello'. how's that for pointless
when did he say it was supposed to be nothing extraordinary? i mean their intentions are clear with statements like this:

Billy: The consistent line through those five records was risk taking. That is fact. And we always managed to insert a kind of random chaos in every release that, like a form of gambling, helps you to win big or lose big. We could live, and did live for, that chance taking. And I think that is the point of emphasis: the risk taking. Not the outcomes. The outcomes affect the willingness to take risk, and that's how we find out sometimes who we are, by who we are not. What makes us unusual is we've been willing to share that risk publically.

Jimmy: We had to make a choice as to what was more important to us: Art or someone else's version of success. We consistently chose our music and we found a home there. We learned a long time ago that by being consistent with our own vision that we could stay ahead of the game and vital, if only to ourselves.

Billy: I think our work now is quite strong, as solid as it's been since the mid-90's. At the end of the day, I have to trust our judgment on the level of our work above all others, because it has gotten us this far. "Far" meaning alive, motivated, and still out there.