View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 02:07 AM   #111
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
it's not just that, Loveless is actually just much more samey than Siamese Dream. A lot of highly revered founding indie bands are sonically limited compared to what alternative rock acts were doing in the 90s or whatever. it doesn't make it worse or better to me, but in general I tend to like artists with a lot of different sounds more than artists who cut all their songs from the same cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
why don't you explain how anyone with ears could think Loveless is as sonically diverse as Siamese Cream
come on now man, this is profoundly untrue.

loveless is "samey" and non-diverse, in exactly the same way SD is "samey" simply because all songs feature the same guitar sound. there's a world of subtlety and nuance if you take the dive and really listen. it's all about how deep you're willing to go.

loveless is like a sonic painting. it's free, uninhibited, experimental, melodic, incredibly innovative and unique, and beautiful. SD is ("only", dare i say) a fantastic rock record, churning out numbers one after the other; no digression, no deviation, more sterile and choked (which has to do more with Butch Vig and the way he produced the band, and sort of enforced his accurate-metronome-drummer approach on JC - a noticeable mistake even after all these years).

they're both exceptional records at what they do; but when you shave it down to bare bone, one is an incredibly inventive piece of art that's impossible to replicate or truly imitate, that was born out of sheer vision and singularity. and the other is prominently derivative of that first work, is much more simple, less challenging, more "meat and potatoes" in essence and style - but does feature some incredibly strong songwriting, performance and meticulous arrangements.

though i dearly love both, that's what tips the scale for me.