View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post

Billy made a terrible miscalculation in thinking that James Iha is Slash and D'arcy is Steven Adler, when they are equally important in the eyes of casual fans, especially due to how unique their looks were in the alternative rock 90's scene at the time being an Asian man and woman. This was the type of reunion where you actually needed every member to pull it off unlike Guns N' Roses who have a Mick/Keith and Page/Plant type situation with Axl/Slash.
Excellently put.

I do think that a group like Smashing Pumpkins holds a lot more cultural weight than Stone Temple Pilots though. I figured Iha/Corgan/Chamberlin being back together would still garner major hype. I thought they'd be back on magazine covers and the whole 9 yards.

I guess the only chance of the Pumpkins making a buzz is if the shows are off the hook. I still think that pre-tour buzz is important in getting the public hyped up for the shows.

Brett, do you think because Guns N Roses did next to no press before their tour that the idea is that Smashing Pumpkins can follow the same formula and attain the same success ?