View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 04:35 AM   #278
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Shape Of Water

https://d32qys9a6wm9no.cloudfront.ne...g?t=1520295652

ok let's make everybody torch me for being wrong. hot take incoming:
i did not like this movie much.

i'm still debating within myself if it has to do with me knowing most about it than the last 3-4 films i had watched, because i firmly believe expectations can fuck with you, and hinder your ability to organically judge art. at least that's the case for me, i can't speak for anybody else obviously, but anyhoo to hell with me and my anal tendencies.

it's not that i think it's a bad film, or poorly made; it's wonderfully shot and beautifully produced and decently acted, and it obviously aims to be a memorable larger-than-life endeavor. but i think it might be that overreaching quality that made it unappealing to me.

it feels to me like this film lacked focus. like it tries to simultaneously be everything, and to engage, and to impress, but along the way in order to achieve that goal, it neglects subtlety. many times during the course of watching this film, i thought to myself that it basically retells or recycles moments from other works, without really having provided any added value or insight that renders it significant, or affecting.

it's got it all: the classic 70's government facility with the comic book look that obviously pays homage to countless works, but in vibe and context probably ends up being closest to "Stranger Things" (and that's not a compliment). the main villain in the film is played by Michael Shannon, who basically reprises his (completely flat, one-note asshole) character from Paul Thomas Anderson's "Inherent Vice". once more, we get to see the token humorous funny black Aunt Jemaima character literally talking in platitudes the entire film. i mean, even the fucking Fish Dude himself and his relationship with his special human are remarkably similar to E.T., right down to the innocent childlike characterization, mysterious healing powers, and themes of redemption. even when the creature breaks free there is this sequence that has the government facility looking like a level in Doom, with a bloody monster handprint next to a maximum-security keypad, and blood smears on the limestone concrete floor.

it all feels regurgitated and deliberate in its attempts to evoke response with proven devices. i resent that - in all forms of art. in music, in cinema, in visual arts. hopefully i don't sound like a huge douche right now, but i believe we live in a time when fewer and fewer people actually make art to express themselves in a real, mindful, way that is essential and cathartic to the artist; but rather, so many basically imitate and pay homage to art they appreciate and love, with varying degrees of sophistication.

i'm not saying the latter is inherently wrong - but it is distinctly different and, imho, inferior to art a person simply feels compelled to make, or art that has to do with the process more than the result. in other words - not being so preoccupied with evoking response.

this film dabbles in drama, comedy, fantasy, mystery, the supernatural, that sweet 80's cathartic payoffs - but it has no emotional center, because all these different currents keep pulling and pushing in opposite ways, and none of them ever goes truly deep in its respective area. a real jack of all trades film, with an overly-animated lead CGI character, including the obnoxious sound work to go along with it to boot - you know, the kind that has you hearing some slimy goo whenever Fish Guy blinks or whatever. very heavy handed.

with all that said though, it's worth noting that i didn't completely hate it, and i did enjoy the gorgeous visuals. they did a totally ace job capturing the spirit of the time through meticulous sets, costumes, retro-esque equipment. there are many cool set pieces scattered throughout, as well.

maybe i just wasn't in the mood, i dunno. i might sound harsher than i really am, because i was trying to get to the root of why i finished this film and went 'meh'. but i think i got it.

overall, it's a decent film. certainly overrated, i'd say. it's got its moments, is occasionally moving, and overall beautifully produced. but for my tastes, it was too rooted in homage, kitsche, and sweet fantastical filmmaking that's aimed more towards children than adults. rather than embracing the surreal elements and making it all play out like a strange dream, it ended up being just another two dimensional fable that follows a painfully predictable narrative trajectory, and it's only a matter of waiting to see it acted out. you see it all coming from a mile away. and as i said - added value is not exactly this picture's strong suite.

doot doot doot.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 03-25-2018 at 10:43 PM.