View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #67
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

there is an onion av club feature called hatesong which is pretty great sometimes. there's a dean ween one about 4 non blondes that's just about perfect

anyway, i was introduced to Future of the Left/Andy Falkous via his hatesong about Mr. Big "To Be With You"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Falkous
It exists at the edge of my consciousness. It’s a distant dream of a time when acoustic guitars existed to be played, and not smashed over the heads of well-wishers. Mr. Big was a group featuring—and I use that term loosely—Paul Gilbert, who is the kind of guitarist beloved of people who buy guitar magazines, your tippy-tappy, 7,000-note-a-second characters. They were just a big old American FM-radio kinda rock band, and this was their ballad. This was their let’s-get-high-school-girls-to-listen-to-us moment, as well as awkward high-school boys. It’s a song that should be in the dictionary next to the word insipid. It has no redeeming qualities. I’m struggling to explain to you why I hate it, because simply listening to the song is enough. It’s like trying to satirize the presidential elections. How do you do that, when the content is there in front of you? You don’t need to find an angle. It almost doesn’t need any comment to make it funny.