View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #69
selection7
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Billy (on Geek USA): After two minutes, a song this heavy ceases to have any dynamic impact.

Jimmy (on Geek USA): "I'll play little fills that just come out of nowhere, like on Geek USA.
Those are too hard for me to try and pull off again if I'm thinking about
them. Then I realise I have to go home and practice this stuff so I can do
it live every night. "
That first Billy quote is exactly my problem with a lot of hardcore metal I've heard. After four minutes of relentless screaming, I just sort of shrug at it because it starts to feel manufactured and rote. Meanwhile, after the breakdown in TOASEarth when the heavy comes back in...it gets my blood boiling every time. That song is pretty relentless too, but there are still rises and falls in intensity, and the falls seem consciously set up to make the heavy moments feel even heavier. ...not that dynamics are any guarantee; a song still needs to be a good song to have impact.

As for Jimmy's quote, I'd always wondered about that sort of thing. Even if I was good enough to play his Geek USA part note-for-note, it would be pointless because even Jimmy doesn't devote that much time and mental effort into reproducing his studio takes live.

Last edited by selection7 : 08-25-2019 at 11:12 PM.