Thread: Gish vs. Adore
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #112
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

It isn't even that I don't like them all, it's that I just find them really comparatively flawed to everything else around them.

- James' background delivery really drags the whole of Bury Me down for me. Song has an amazing buildup and great release at the end though.

- Crush is probably the one I listen to most in isolation. I appreciate the dreamy vibe it has but I wonder if I'd care at all about it if not for that nice ascending bassline.

- Coming after Crush, Suffer is where I zone the hell out. It just meanders, but I really like the lyrics. Out of these four, would have replaced it with LDV if I had to choose one.

- Tristessa just kind of blends into the background for me. It's nice as rockers go, but it doesn't stand out. Whether or not a song rocks doesn't make or break it for me.

I don't think Gish is a bad album by any means, but I've just never been much for "psychedelica" or whatever you want to call it. The soundscapes they crafted before and after the album just appeal to me way more on the whole.

Both very different albums obviously, as others have said, and I also find Adore hard to get all the way through, but that's more because it's a serious emotional drain.