View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Bread View Post
I prefer Vs and Vitalogy. I think both of those have aged better than Ten. I've always been baffled by how uncool people make them out to be. I feel like they've kept their integrity and continue to do things that don't piss off the fans. That being said, I haven't listened to anything after Binaural (and I think I listened to that one once). Anyway, there's better bands to hate on.
They really are a very good band with a lot of good songs. I do get that they are cheesy and totally 90s blah blah but they turned out to have more integrity and respect for their own music and their fans than basically any other band of that era. Other than the drummer they have kept the original band together, they have come to bat for their fans vs. the music/ticket industry, and afaik they have never allowed their music to be used to sell cars or credit cards. How many acts are there around who, 30 years into their career, can literally pull out ANY song from their discography on any night? And Eddie Vedder is actually a pretty cool and down-to-earth human.

I can hear what you mean in that Vs. and Vitalogy have aged better, but IMO, Ten is the only PJ album that is solid all the way through. Pretty much every other PJ album I feel like half the songs are decent to good and the other half are skippers. I know I am in the minority on this, but I actually would nominate Yield as their 2nd best album because it wholistically comes closest to recreating the precise, neatly-constructed sound of Ten, whereas Vitalogy sounds looser and I could just do without some of the songs.