View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #67
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post
I think content should be grouped by the tapes / source they are from. Which is essentially how they currently are. I would stick with current community naming for these tapes as well so as not to confuse things even more. Perhaps we could incIude a text file giving the above information.
Okay, I suppose upon reflection I mostly agree with keeping the original groupings, especially for the cohesive discs. And then keep most of the original community names, especially the descriptive ones. Something like "Adore Demos II" works fine, but maybe add something more descriptive to the cryptic titles, like "Sequence IV (MCIS Early Mix)" or "Sacred + Profane Tour Compilation" rather than Triple Tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikarp99
We shouldn't incIude versions which are commercially available, e.g. part of reissues. These are already readily available through other means, including actually buying it. They aren't falling out of circulation. I would think SPRC editions are an exception as these are not available for purchase.
Ok, so don't splice the existing versions with cleaner versions from an official release? I guess I can agree with that. But maybe don't exclude something because it also exists on a official release. It's so annoying when a track has been removed because it makes an appearance on some official compilation or whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikarp99
I think there is value in having the original versions of the tapes.
I'm not certain that I get what you're saying, but personally I'm more concerned with preserving and sharing the Smashing Pumpkins recording history than the Smashing Pumpkins trading community history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
It would go against the point of bootlegging these recordings if officially released reissue versions were spliced into the original bootleg source. If I'm listening to Gravity Demos for instance, I'd want to hear it as it sounds on that tape, not the cleaned up officially released version, which is readily available anyway.
I guess I'm not sure I understand what you see the point of bootlegging to be. I thought it was to put material into circulation that wasn't otherwise available. If it's out there, in a better version, it's lost its raison d'être.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed
TSP/Moon Demo: Best version is a DAT from Ebay, owned by bmaromar, distributed by rhinowing in 2009

But how about including rips of the original tapes? The consensus is that this is the "best version", but it's still not the same source as those original tapes.
If it's the same recording, then it goes back to the same original source. Just because one particular lineage of that recording was part of a group of tapes that the band sold oh so many years ago doesn't make it any better. That's just sentimentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikarp99 View Post
Should we add in the Ignoffo tape, The Marked tapes, Zwan rough mixes and Spun?
The Marked tapes, Zwan? Yes. Anything that is of interest to current and potentially new Billy Corgan fans and is otherwise hard to find.

The Ignoffo tape? No, at least not in its orginal form. And that gets to the heart of I think my main disagreement with you guys on some stuff. back again to that no record 2x rule. I'd really prefer some consolidation by recording session. I mean, I don't feel the need to have 4 versions of the same recording because it was released on Mashed Potatoes, the Moon Demo tape, Ignoffo tape and the Reel Time Sessions.

Now, I'm not totally without sentiment. I've been around here for a while. I remember being super stoked when an mp3 snippet of For Martha came onto netphoria from a radio promo for their opening for the Stones at the Texas Motor Speedway. And every time there was a new leak of an old recording, whether for the first time or a major upgrade, it was exciting and momentous. But over the years it's created a somewhat chaotic pool of duplicate tracks from varying lineages.

Looking at the list we have, it is for the most part pretty well organized by recording session as is. But I am happy to do away with lower quality redundant tracks rather than keeping them in circulation just because they were part of a lineage that was special to the community at one time. I would have no problem blowing up the Ignoffo Tape, Mashed Potatoes, Moon Demo--of course keeping anything that isn't available elsewhere.

So, keeping intact or consolidating full recording sessions with the best available tracks, and a mega torrent collecting everything else that doesn't have a proper home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed
If I'm listening to Gravity Demos for instance, I'd want to hear it as it sounds on that tape, not the cleaned up officially released version, which is readily available anyway.
I'm not gonna say you're wrong, but that's not my preference. I don't have a sentimentality for tape hiss (let me guess, you prefer vinyl because you enjoy the pops and crackles? j/k I'm teasing). I'd like to listen to all the Gravity tracks together, each one being from the best source available, rather than the incomplete selection of tracks that happened to fit on the tape that Billy put out into circulation in the year 2000. [Perhaps the best solution is just for me to create my own playlist that draws from the different sources. ]

Anyway, I get the sense that this is not the consensus of the community here, but I at least wanted to elaborate on my particular 'vision' or whatever. I'll gladly participate in helping create the torrents and seeding with whatever the group decides to do.

This, of course, wouldn't even be a discussion if Billy would go ahead and OK the creation of a digital Pumpkins archive, containing all of Billy's collection of his bands' recordings.