View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #234
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's definitely a big curveball for me. i find it interesting that the entire album feels like it hits a maximum of 30-40% velocity at most, the whwole way through. it's all so downbeat and tame. there are some moments that still made me feel like it's not their most inspired record (namely Daydreaming).

but it's extremely vulnerable and exposed. it conveys that feeling to me of being absolutely crushed about a breakup, so much so that you can't even bring yourself to talk, or play music, or do anything. lots of lyrics repeat again and again, like a song sketch, except it has that radiohead magic and johnny's (excellent) arrangements over it. it's definitely thom's breakup record after his divorce. trigger warning.
upon listening to the lyrics more closely, they have definitely taken a big turn from the last few radiohead records. it's funny at almost 50 to hear Thom Yorke dismiss a lot of the more intellectual tendencies of his songwriting and look back to his earlier "omg it hurts so bad" style of writing. definitely a break up album, but not angry at all. the mood is more of a numb acceptance with all this turmoil swirling below the surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I like Daydreaming by itself but it's kind of a slog to get through and really slows the tempo of the album so I skip it if I'm listening to the full album
Daydreaming is probably my least favorite on the album. It's just kind of simple to me, but it is still an interesting song. The reversed vocal near the end is apparently saying, "Half of my life," which is of course the length of his relationship with his ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
The Numbers sounds the most like OK Computer to me and it's a song about climate change and the oncoming apocalypse or something
This album seems to reference past Radiohead more than any other. The riff in The Numbers sounds a lot like Optimistic to me (also Neil Young, does anyone else hear that?). Decks Dark sounds like OKC, and the imagery parallels Subterranean Homesick Alien (except the escapist dream has become horribly real). Ful Stop and Present Tense are shades of IR.