View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #36
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

These are some of my guitars

Gretsch Nashville '67

Fernandes Vertigo

The others are a black and white Squier Strat and a black and white Aria Pro II FS (strat copy). so cheap shit really. I also have a Seagull acoustic and a Gibson Chet Atkins SST which is a semi acoustic but i play neither of those really as i don't like acoustic guitar pretty much at all. I inherited them though that's why i have them. I'd sell the Gibson if the finish wasn't so fucked up it's not even worth 400$ anymore (when technically it should be worth around 1300$)

Really while i should be playing the gretsch the most, i like the cheap Squier strat best i'm afraid.... I used to wonder why, then realised all the bands i like used cheap instruments in their beginnings (robert smith plays a sears guitar on Three imaginary boys for one). So i figure cheap guitar is the sound i've grown to like.

These are my basses.

As much as i can sorta play guitar i still prefer playing bass by far. I only decided to get passable on guitar all these years back so i didn't have to deal with guitar players who always want to throw some shit in like some jazz chords they've been learning. Like i'm supposed to give a fuck, nevermind like it.

I don't really play the Epi though, its the least comfortable bass i've ever tried and also it sounds very early 70's (obviously meant to) which is a sound i don't like. As soon as you turn the mudbucker on it's like the worst muffled distorted definition-less sound ever. I've been trying to sell it. It weighs a ton and the neck will hit the floor if you don't hold it. Still not sure why they make any instruments out of mahogany.

The Douglas is the prettiest thing i've ever owned. I've always wanted a black semi hollow like that and it took me years to find an affordable and yet good sounding one. This is as good as it gets unless i'd be willing to get a custom made. Ideally i'd like a bridge pickup too but what can you do... with a lot of fiddling i can get almsot any tone i like out of it

The Ibanez was bottom of the line, it's the first instrument i ever bought in 1996. It's also probably still to this day the best sounding bass i've played. for my money anyway. It is pretty much a fender in sound though, obviously with the J and P. It doesnt look like much but it looks worse seen vertically really.

As for gear, well i kinda hate gear really. I hate turning knobs and plugging stuff and spending ridiculous amount of cash on it. I know i'm supposed to be into this shit but i could never be. Nowadays I tend to just plug into a DAW and use Amplitude or Guitar Rig for effects. I have four Boss pedals (chorus, flange, distortion and delay) and i pretty much never use them as i can get better results through these software.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 10-01-2014 at 07:29 PM.