View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #28
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
i have always appreciated XII's attempt at developing a subtle plot based on intrigue rather than the usual oh-shit-time-to-save-the-world melodrama of the other games. but the execution was risible. vayne was one of the most one-dimensional, uninspired villains i have seen in any game to date, final fantasy or otherwise. and as i mentioned before, the judges were very poorly developed characters that earned neither one's sympathy nor one's apathy. the head judge was slightly sympathetic for having to kill the female one but that whole episode just seemed ridiculous to begin with. the script was awful.

also, the game planning in general was just mediocre beyond belief. i found the first two or three hours of the game almost excruciatingly slow, and it didn't pick up much even after that. i had fun hunting down a couple of the marks and dispatching thousands upon thousands of those sandpeople at the oil-rig place, but my god what a complete dirge from start to finish.
i found it to be a pretty quick game actually (provided you use the gambit system to its full potential). if you insist on manually inputting all your commands it'd be incredibly tedious, especially given that the game annoyingly makes you backtrack through a number of locations.

i think the problem with vayne and the judges is pretty much to do with a lack of elaboration. i didn't think vayne was one-dimensional (he seemed to have complex motives and was hardly a stock bad guy); he was simply kept at arm's length for the entire game. i thought the judges were there more as the personification of the empire's power/corruption so i wasn't too bothered about them. having said that i almost stopped playing the game early on when "it wasn't me it was my identical twin brother" became central to the plot. fucking stupid