View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #1062
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
i mean freud was wrong about a lot of shit but it's still valuable because the idea of the unconscious mind didn't really exist, at least not in a widespread way, before then.
i think the fact that the greatest psychologist of all time's primary method was literary analysis speaks to the internal confusion and misguidedness of psychology as a discipline. most work in the "social sciences" is built on really shaky methodological ground. once you get to the graduate level, as vixnix has, the discipline will admit that, but still keeps up the ruse that the latest theories are somehow better or more legitimate. all "modern"/scientific ways of thinking and knowing suffer from the same flawed commitment to critical iconoclasm, or the unquestioned assumption that newer ideas and conceptualizations are better and should replace older ones.

freud knows what's up tho, largely because his method isn't really scientific but historical and analytical and philosophical. i don't think you can say he "was wrong" any more than you can say Plato or George Eliot or Foucault are "wrong"; they just present different ways of interpreting and valuing the experience of life that resonate more or less strongly with different people at different times.

i guess i just don't see much value in the "insights" of the social sciences. their primary purpose seems to be serving as conduits for the legitimization and reproduction of the upper-middle class. we'd certainly be better off without those bastard "economists."

i'm feeling very reflective this morning.