View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #1112
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Other day at a show, I ran into this girl I took out once. We seemed to like each other when we went out, but our schedules never quite worked out for any of the follow-up dates I proposed, and eventually you just quit trying to arrange things and accept that 'twas never meant to be.

But the story of our one date is funny, so I should tell it. Happened some time last spring I think? I don't think I've told this one yet, so here's something from the DiscoDate Archives.

So, she was a girl from one of my classes. She had similar political views to me and seemed cool and had awesome style, so I took her number.

I texted her, asking her if she'd want to go to this event, and she said yes. However, her stepdad ended up having a medical emergency, so she had to cancel.

A bit later, I texted her again, asking her if she wanted to go for frozen yogurt. She agreed.

She got a little lost (I confused the frozen yogurt place with another one and gave her the wrong place name), so I had to wait for her a little while. To pass the time, I was just practicing some photography in the park nearby.

Eventually she shows up and greets me in the park. However, she says she can't chat long, because she has to meet a friend. I'm a bit taken off guard by that, because we had arranged this, but I assumed that maybe she had something scheduled with a friend right after our date, and her being late meant that she had no remaining time before she had to meet that friend, so I just kinda shrugged it off.

Then I notice that she enters the frozen yogurt place (which I call "frogurt!") that we were going to meet at. I start to realize something is amiss, but I just dismiss it as "Maybe she was meeting that friend at the same place we were meeting? What a coincidence."

Then I get a text from her telling me she's arrived at the frogurt place, and asking me how long I'll be.

It's then that I realize that we've got a case of mistaken identity on our hands (though, not gonna lie for a brief second, I also considered schizophrenia as a possible explanation). I text her back, saying that there must have been some sort of miscommunication, and asking her if she perhaps has another friend named Disco King.

I go to meet her in the frogurt joint. She apologizes profusely. She tells me that she does in fact have another friend named Disco King, and when I had texted her asking if she wanted to meet up, she thought I was that friend, who she hadn't seen for a little while. I guess she forgot to save my contact under something that would distinguish me from the other guy. She assures me that I shouldn't think that she wouldn't have wanted to meet with me.

She seemed super embarrassed, so I tried to put her at ease, telling her it wasn't a big deal, that I wasn't upset or offended or anything. It was just a funny story that could have happened to anyone who knew more than one king of disco.

The date starting off on this foot kinda threw me off my game, making it a bit awkward. However, I think we ended up getting along well, because we ended up sitting and talking in that joint for maybe four hours.

At the end of the thing, I told her that when I asked her to meet me, I had a date in mind, but understanding that she may not know that seeing as she didn't even know it was me, I would be open to just hanging out as friends if she wasn't interested in dating. She said she was open to going on dates with me, and that we should go on a "real one" soon.

I still wasn't sure if she was really into me, or if she was being polite because of the awkwardness of the situation. But not long after that kinda-date-thing, we were attending the same show, and when she was heading to the venue, she texted me "see you soon" with heart emojis. I've never had anybody send me heart emojis before. It seemed even weirder after only a single date. I was actually wondering if she had confused me with that other Disco again, but she knew it was me that time.