Thread: Local Bands
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Live shows/field recording only since 2004. In the back of my head I always wanted to get into studio recording but never really had the discipline. Plenty of friends have built their own studios in their house or elsewhere. A few of them have tried to teach me Pro Tools and all that. I just like to document and archive what is going on in a live setting. 2004-2005 I did mostly what's called stealth taping where you wear your gear or "rig" on your person (pulled the stealth shoes outta the closed for SP last August. Five+ hours no bathroom break!). Around 2005 on I started using a big tripod/mic stand and bought some condenser mics + pre-amp + cables etc. Soundboard patches happen about 80% of the time as well. When you walk in with a tripod and a big bag of gear with a shoulder strap there's no hiding anything so you have to do work ahead of time to get clearance form the band and venue. I know a lot of musicians and venue staff around town so local shows are not a problem. Bigger national and international touring bands can certainly be a different story.

I know you're already aware but Thou is from near you in Baton Rouge and of course all of the amazing bands of any genre from New Orleans. I love Jazz. Pears is a great punk band from New Orleans as well.