View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I love this one...

Dosh
April 21, 2016 ·
when is Jeremy Y. gonna weigh in with his Prince story? (and perhaps my favorite Prince story..)

Jeremy Y.
There we were, doing our monthly "fresh squeez" freestyle jazz/ hip hop/ noise whatnot (side note- where I met Martin with his excellent posture, ponytail, and random pieces of metal to drum on) I happened to be playing a Rhodes into a delay pedal for this particular jam, and I even remember the riff I was playing- a Bernie Worrrell inspired descending pentatonic thing. Funky. This huge man in an expensive suit comes up to me and says, (not asks) "My boss would like to sit in with the group." And I'm thinking, some rich guy who always wanted to be in a band wanted to get involved, and of course! Awesome, tell your boss he can try out music! It's super fun!

This perfect looking human in all black with jewels where elf shaped ears would be walks up to me and asks, "What key?" "Uhhhhhhhh.... D." He starts in on the riff I was just playing, dubbing himself out, spinning around, dancing, playing these gorgeous chromatic sheets of notes. His entire life went into it. And he was laughing. Everyone was laughing.

And then he left.

He didn't have to come. He didn't have to stay. He didn't have to play. He could have played anything on any instrument. He played my riff. My Prince story.