View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #206
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
In 11th grade we read the book in lit class and it blew my fucking mind. Truly moved me in a way I'm not sure any book had at that point. I have not reread it, but based on my memory I would highly recommend you just read the book and forget the movie. I remember when the teacher asked for our thoughts upon completing the text, my hand shot up and I gave an impassioned endorsement of both the book and McCandless, citing my admiration for his bravery and willingness to take total control of his own life and push himself to the edge, and speaking at length about how much I felt I related to him and how his life speaks on a lot of core moral issues with how individuals relate to and live in our society. I thought a lot of other people would be with me but the class was like

I was fucking stoked when the film came out a few years later, but it fell flat for me. The docu-narrative style of the book and the voice of the author were totally lost. The scenery is beautiful obviously (North America ftw) but yeah just not really a cohesive film.

I still love Eddie Vedder's soundtrack though. Society, you're a crazy breed.

Last edited by redbreegull : 01-29-2017 at 01:05 PM.