View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #195
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

three episodes into season six. i cannot tell you how happy i am that the quality on this show absolutely does not drop. it is just so beautifully written and executed, fuck me. i'm watching these episodes in complete awe, much in the same way i do with GoT because it's just so masterful in what it does. both shows are profoundly moving on a very deep level, but Sopranos manages to do it with so little. it's like the most minimalist show that just picks you up and crashes you against a wall by using the single most efficient and powerful movement, like kung fu or something. zero pyrotechnics, just a lot of great dialogue. if GoT is like an oil painter working with expensive materials and producing labored and glorious works, sopranos is like the incredible kid who can take a pencil, a pen and a piece of paper and put something on the page that will knock your socks off.

having a lead character that is in every scene in a coma for two full episodes to start off the season, somehow using it as a platform for a surreal, vivid nightmare that makes astute references and inversions to the character's real life as a powerful mob boss, and still keeping the story going in a significant and compelling way for multiple other characters - man, i absolutely take my hat off to these guys. this is brilliance.

i mean just the fact that a show about mobsters flirts so frequently and so convincingly with surrealism, and allows such a significant amount of the overall story (that is still firmly rooted in reality) to be told through that prism, is so fucking cool and inspired.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 09-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.