View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #59
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy always played the "sorry I'm not your typical rock star" or "sorry I'm not the rock star you wanted". He's been saying that since 1993. He had short hair, he dressed goofy - now he's bald and dresses goofy.

But he's used that as an excuse since then. Any "normal" rock star has understood what legacy means, what fans want, and many (Ride, Slowdive) have come back and given fans what they wanted (original line ups, classic hits) and managed to make well received new albums.

Billy could do that, but he won't. Refer back to earlier point. This, I believe, is what fans and Netphoria has a problem with. Plus his new music does not have the essence of what made people like him in the first place - fuzzy guitar, melody, emotive vocals. Seriously, I'd enjoy the post-2007 material way more if he sang and produced his vocals like he did in the 90s.

But the new music is just way off. It's like if Ride came back and took the cue from Tarantula, instead of Nowhere (in reality, they did neither, and were smart enough to figure out how to make their music sound both new and vintage at the same time).