View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 02:46 AM   #1
sarmatianus
Apocalyptic Poster

Default So, the new holy grail?

First off, I am VERY grateful that MP was released. So I don't want to hear anyone saying that now that it's released, a thread like this is emerging out of ennui. I haven't even listened to all of it yet, but my ears are very happy.

Nonetheless, out of personal curiousity, what will be declared now as the new holy grail of the community?

An obvious first candidate would be the Avalon show, but from what I have heard, it seems like it's circulating slowly and covertly, but at a rate at which it will be beyond preventing a leak sometime in the near future.

My nomination would be for the so-called "LoC" tape - mostly for reasons that I just researched and discovered:

1. There are no other known copies confirmed to be in anybody's possession (though Billy, at the least, undoubtedly has one).

2. The tape is in the possession of the Copyright Office not the Library of Congress. This is an important distinction, because although the Copyright Office operates under the LoC, its depository holdings are independent of the LoC stacks.

3. Unlike the rather restrictive provisions of the LoC listening rooms, there are absolutely no standard accessings of Copyright deposits.

"Copies of deposits may be obtained upon the request of the owner of the copyright in the deposit, by an attorney in connection with litigation involving the copyrighted work, and through a court order issued by a court having jurisdiction in a case in which the copy is to be submitted as evidence."

4. Security procedures for the entire LoC campus of buildings, as well as penalties for violations are stringent enough to scare away, well, anyone with either or a brain or anything less than secret agent skills. http://www.loc.gov/rr/security/

Yeah, so I think that it's not gonna happen. I know that this conversation has been had many times before, but to my knowledge, I don't think the LoC vs. Copyright Office difference was noted or mentioned. And it changes the chances of it being listened to by any of us, much less a copy coming out of there, from extremely slim to virtually nil. Oh well.