View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #15
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I guess I don't value entertainment in politics enough to be genuinely amused that a rich guy with lots of power is becoming a serious contender for a position of power and says very stupid stuff.

I guess I do like seeing how the Republican's base reacts to Trump, though. A lot of what he says is pretty much just more explicit formulations of what has been right-wing rhetoric for years; but other Republicans, who like to couch their reactionism in benign language, have to suddenly pretend that they are appalled by misogyny and racism and military imperialism and jump around him.

And Corgan is kind of on to something (probably by accident) about Trump not fitting neatly into the mainstream political spectrum that the Dems and Reps represent. He's a populist conservative, so a lot of his rhetoric plays into right-wing fears of outsiders such as immigrants and competitive nations, but a lot of it is also against corporate welfare, which is usually the left's rallying point (the right doesn't like to draw too much attention to the policy favours they do for "job creators"). And he's also for single-payer healthcare.

It's also odd that, despite diverging wildly from right-wing libertarians, he's taking a lot of Tea Party support. Probably because they are low-info voters and extreme right-wing sentiments that flatter their vague sensibilities were always a larger factor in how they vote than actual policy.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm not too upset that the Republican Party is being so fractured by the lunatics they originally courted for strategic reasons that they are moving farther away from being a serious option for government. If only a grassroots element became a force in the Democrat Party so that it could actually be a left-wing party, though.

I like how I began this post by saying that I wasn't amused but then realized that I kinda am

You got any thoughts on the lawless contender on the other side. The one suppressing DNC debates that has the other two main candidates crying foul that the democratic process is being railroaded. You know, that woman whose staffers laugh and brag about violating election law and with a lawyer who says, "whatever you can get away with, just do it."