View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #13
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

just sounds like more of the same to me. it's basically a self-parody at this point. a set of dudes in their 50s and taking more than a decade for an album... it's not likely to be fresh. and it's just rinse and repeat tool gimmicks. there are a couple moments in the song that i liked but it's become pretty tedious

a month or two ago i had dinner with a friend i hadn't seen in years and we used to both liked tool and i asked him he felt about them and he put it something like this "it's like the band stands naked over a mirror, squats down and is just super obsessed with staring up their own asshole"

at the time i thought that was a little harsh but i'm coming around to his point of view

i really used to love this band, particularly aenima and lateralus. they lost me at 10000 days. i'll give the new record a listen but i don't have any high hopes

side note / side question -- before their stuff was on streaming, i never really consciously appreciated the difference in tone and message between aenima and lateralus. but having a playlist with several songs from each and hitting shuffle made it impossible to ignore. do we know if there was anything specific that inspired the shift, or do we think it was just general growing up and becoming wiser and less angry?