View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #14
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
it's just the latest few things that bother me. I even like parts of Universal Themes and the Jesu collaboration album. I saw them live together and it wasn't good though. The sound was really bad and the songs probably even worse.

I still love Benji and everything before that. I cherish my autographed Benji lp like the little fanboy i am <3
to me, there is a big dividing line between Admiral Fell and everything that has come out after. Every single album of originals up through Admiral Fell is solid through and through, but starting with Among the Leaves, he really changed and his songs began to seem like a lot less work went into them. I liked parts of Leaves, parts of Benji (a few songs are very very good), parts of Perils from the Sea, parts of Universal Themes. But overall his newer style really doesn't do it for me. It's hard for me to appreciate a really gifted singer purposely singing like he just woke up with a cold, and a really gifted lyricist penning prosaic errand lists as lyrics