View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #208
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I guess I've started playing the original Splinter Cell. More in line with what I was expecting from the title than I got with Conviction, which felt more like a third-person tactical shooter than a stealth game. The original is pretty cool and feels somewhat ahead of its time. Even the lighting seems more sophisticated than in some more modern games.

Seeing as old PC games don't recognize controllers, I had to use a third-party programme to manually re-map every control to a controller button so that I wouldn't have to use the keyboard. Seeing as the PC game wasn't made wit controllers in mind, the controls are a little awkward. I originally tried to map the controls to the way the Xbox version would have worked, but I realized that was impossible, because the controls aren't 1:1 analogous for the PC and Xbox versions of the games. I eventually settled on something that I find more-or-less intuitive. I've got Chaos Theory coming in the mail, and that copy is an Xbox copy, so I should find that less of a headache.

Hearing about what Conviction was supposed to be, it seems like the studio was originally intending to take more of a risk with it, but backed down and just made it a shooter with a little bit of stealth in there. It was originally supposed to be inspired by modern spy shit like 24 and Jason Bourne, having Splinter Cell guy without all his gear, and trying to evade people by getting lost in crowds in public and shit like that. They kept the "he doesn't have his gear" angle, and the game even lacks his spooky triangle goggles, but other than that, it's just shooting people and running away and hiding behind some other waist-high block and then shooting people again.