View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 AM   #202
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've never played a Far Cry game and don't even know what they are about, but a coworker of mine said I'd probably like it.

I tried Splinter Cell: Conviction, because it's the only entry that's compatible with the Xbox One. I like it because I like stealth shit, but it really seems like your only strategy is to die enough times that you memorize the patrol patterns and how the AI reacts to your actions. And I feel like even if a game is hard enough that you aren't likely to beat a level on the first attempt, it should be in principle conceivably beatable on the first attempt, instead of relying on trial-and-error.

I also hear that this entry is the least stealthy of the series, and puts a lot more focus on combat. Too bad. I probably would have preferred one of the stealthier ones. Apparently, the other installments give you non-lethal options and let you drag around and hide incapacitated bodies to avoid having them discovered by other enemies. That sounds more fun than just shooting everybody.

The game has a great interrogation mechanic, though.

Also, I tried playing Assassin's Creed. I got the "Ezio trilogy" (a package of several remastered installments) and Black Flag, and started with Assassin's Creed II.

Holy shit, the controls are just awful in this game. Everything is mapped to a few context-sensitive buttons, so it's really hard to get the game to recognize what move you want to execute. You try to parkour your way up a tower by jumping to the next handhold, but the game thinks that you're actually trying to leap off the tower to your death, because of course that's what you want to do. It's impossible to land on the correct platform or grip the correct ledge. You just go all over the place or get stuck somewhere. The combat and targeting system sucks, too. The character isn't very likable so far.

I'm not understanding why this is such a popular triple-A franchise. Fucking moving around shouldn't be the hard part of a game like this.