View Single Post
Old 02-13-2002, 03:43 AM   #66
sarmatianus

To both resurrect this thread and also offer a possible answer to a question earlier on in the discussion, there is probably a good reason why the Fruit Bat Salad tapes (I believe Jason brought this up) cut between shows, especially hearing that they are "with permission" videos. It really sucks for traders, but makes complete sense editing-wise.

I'm going to guess that the taper only had one camera; of course, unlike audio taping, it is visually anathema to only have one angle. So you have a clear problem - you can move (if you aren't hard wired into anywhere) and get really bouncy, weird shots and possibly shitty audio as well, or you keep (generally) to one area.

But people don't want just one angle (well, traders probably don't care...) so the videos look and sound like that because they were edited to have a higher visual appeal (although, considering the limited number of copies this is a stupid thing to do). But there's only one angle per show - so you edit between the two. Maybe they could've used a continuous recording between the two and edited it creatively to avoid mis-syncs...but then it would only screw up lineages further.

I mean, consider masterpieces of SP editing, like Musique Plus or DVD Fuck You; part of the reason they look so great is because they have the liberty of multiple cameras at the same show, so all they have to do is sync the cameras - since they all recorded the same show, it'll work fine.

I'm actually going to be videotaping the Death and Dismemberment tour in March for a few weeks and this issue really concerns me b/c I may or may not have a second camera - I own one and I'm going to try to borrow one from my school for my girlfriend to use. In any case, I'm going to have to think of some creative ideas in the meantime for camerawork and editing so as to avoid the problem.

Now, all that being said, there is some comfort in the fact that the Fruit Bat Salad angles had to have each come from separate shows that exist on their masters (hopefully)in their entirety, one day to be uncovered. And come to think of it, the idea of having 20+ angles uncut on the Metro DVD, while probably not feasible, blows my mind.

I'll shut up now.

sarmatianus

------------------
I Am The Radio