View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 03:03 AM   #208
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
What did Kid A influence, exactly? Where as I like Billy's whiny voice well enough, I never got into Yorke's moan-singing, so I have a huge blind spot when it comes to all things Radiohead. All I get from Kid A is a ponderous self-seriousness. Is that what they brought to the mainstream?
What I think is really interesting about Kid A is that when it came out it sounded absolutely revolutionary in the context of alternative rock/indie/whatever. Unless you were plugged into stuff like Warp records it was totally new.

Now when you listen to it, though it still sounds really amazing, I dont think anyone would accuse it of sounding unpalatable (lots did at at the time) or especially revolutionary. Mainstream music in general has risen to its level. THAT’S the legacy of Kid A. And also the fact that Radiohead headline festivals all over the world despite having been an avant-gard electronic jazz band for nearly 20 years.

And while rock bands don’t often sound like Kid A, listen to stuff like Kanye, Tyler, The Creator, Lorde or Frank Ocean- Kid A is all over those records.

I also think there’s some of its DNA in what Arctic Monkeys are doing now, though more in spirit than specific sounds.

I love Adore, and I disagree it sounds dated but I don’t think its had that level of influence.