View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner
from what i understand that is not the case. big picture-wise the jury is still out on this one. the studies i've seen that show minimum wage increases don't lead to more unemployment at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder end up with a bunch of holes shot through them when other economists go back to confirm the results. there seems to be a greater amount of more solid information correlating minimum wage increases with decreases in employment for the young/poor/unskilled.

of course, correlations =/= causation and the reality of the issue is certainly much more complex than a simple linear relationship. aeroplane, thank you for actually bringing up relevant aspects of the issue and not pulling a sleeper and tossing around insults, etc. this board needs more of posts like yours.
aw, shucks, thanks.

i have seen those follow up studies about the decreases in employment, but from what i understood, (and i could have misunderstood) it evens out from those who were working for less and those who were working for a little more than the new minimum wage. aka - leveling the playing field. which gives more opportunity to the poor.

but it is a much more complex issue than people give it credit for. raising the minimum wage isn't going to be a blessing for everyone, but hopefully it will help more people than hurt.