View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #23
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
band attracts people with specific mental issues and personality disorders because of the lyrics/themes I think. Also, old fans seem to continuously get alienated and pushed away, replaced by people in their early 20s who aren't mature enough to stop buying BC's horseshit. when's the last time you encountered someone who listened to SD when it was new and still is interested in the band? When I saw them this summer, the crowd was diverse but mostly 25-40 I would say. Not too many folks who were already 30 in 1993 still hanging around
Judging by Billy’s instagram, it seems like most of his supporters right now are either Latinos who are relatively new to American popular culture (and thus unaware of the total shitshow that Billy has been throwing for 20+ years) or displaced lower class white people (who would otherwise be listening to ICP.)

I hate to say that but it’s true. Anyone who has spent a great deal of time engaged with rock music as an art form on a deeper level has long abandoned ship. Billy just keeps skimming the surface for newcomers who have not yet experienced shoegaze bliss or extended guitar solos and think it’s a novelty.

He also has had a tendency to skim the surface for band mates who have never experienced touring with a real band (i.e., Jeff, Ginger, Nicole, MIKE BURNS, etc.)

Oh...and his baby mama is basically a young trophy wife (but not actually even his wife.) So there’s just kind of a pervasive pattern here of skimming the surface for people who are not his equal and can’t take him task on things. And, along with that, he actively cuts people out who are capable of leveling legitimate criticism at him (i.e., D’arcy, untrue fans, Pitchfork, Netphoria.)

Classic Trump-ian narcissism.

He’s a pretty good guitar player though.

Last edited by johncg : 12-03-2018 at 10:01 AM.