View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #98
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I don't know how things work where you are, but degrees are very often treated more so as an indicator of intellectual capacity, ability, work ethic and blah. Having a Master of Arts in Film Studies, for example, is less likely to land you a job as a critic for a reputable publication than it is to get you the lower management position at a telecommunications company that you always dreamed of.
This. Because of educational inflation and the fact that literally everybody except for fuzzyroes has a high-school diploma, the post-secondary degree has become the new arbitrary qualification employers tend to look for. It doesn't matter as much what you study unless you are going into a specialized field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
dk, did you check your email yet?

i had so much schoolwork due this weekend. i had two deadlines saturday and one on sunday. i cried saturday morning cause powerpoint froze and i lost my work. i couldn't help it--- i just cried. but in the end, everything was fine and done on time.

BUT i did miss a teeny tiny assignment. i am taking an online course and in addition to submitting our own work, we are to respond to at least 2 other students (this is "class participation") and between everything else i had to do, it just slipped through the cracks. i am- or was- pretty disappointed in myself, but thankfully i've already done some extra credit for that course. it's still a bummer, though.
Glad the PowerPoint worked out. Yeah, missing even small assignments sucks.

I eventually just emailed my prof from an alternate email address so that I wouldn't have to check my school one. Except that made me too nervous to check that one as well, but eventually I did. Gave him a doctor's note, and he says I can hand in the assignment any time during the semester. Took a bit of stress off, but I wanted to do it sooner rather than later when I have even more shit due, but I'm having the worst writers' block I've ever had and, even though I have the outline of my paper all done and I know what I'm going to write, I just can't get it out and get stuck rewording the same paragraphs or sentences over and over. It's only a 12-page paper, but I just can't do it. I feel like how people with dementia must feel when they can't complete simple tasks that used to be easy for them. I don't know what's wrong with me. I can't focus on anything. I've been stuck on page three forever.

In not checking my email, I missed the email telling me of the Wellness Center appointment I had, so I lost my place in the waiting list. I told the counselor I spoke to that I'm too anxious to check my email, and she said the Center would call me instead. They didn't. But it's still my fault for being such a wuss and not being able to check my email until it was too late.

Even though I've checked it now, I was too anxious to scroll all the way down and look at all the unread emails.