View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #119
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
There comes a time when depression and/or anxiety gets so bad that it is very hard to do any of this basic stuff without some kind of help. Medication, intensive therapy, etc. I can't tell you you are or aren't at that point but don't get down on yourself for not doing the stuff. You're overwhelmed. You need help. Don't let some asshole doctor tell you all you need is some exercise and to eat salad. Obviously those things will help but if you had no problem doing them you wouldn't be here. Like I said, I'm not a professional yet but if I heard that someone was so anxious they can't open their email I would be working on an actual treatment plan and also referring for blood work to rule out anything funky like thyroid issues. Have they done blood work? Offered you an SSRI or benzo? Got a really good history of the problem?

I know you're in the midst of it and maybe I'm doing some projective identification on some level but I'm kinda angry no one is taking the ball and trying to help you. Not at you. You're taking some initiative, which is really a good step. Some doc telling you her 3 minute memorized speech on sleep hygiene and turning off your devices an hour before bed and have you tried warm milk and are you taking vitamins really grinds my gears

i hope you know you can talk to me anytime if you need to. i'll try not to play therapist (which i've been accused of but don't think i do much anymore).
The doctor was actually asking me if I am comfortable taking meds from day one, and seems open to a lot of treatment possibilities and wasn't telling me that I would just be all better if I slept more and ate right or anything like that. I just didn't want to get on meds right away, but then I decided to give it a try and I'm on sertraline right now. Been on it just over a week, since my visit to the doc. I'm supposed to see her again next week.

I dunno, I haven't noticed that much of a change yet. I'm guessing it's too early for the effects to be noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
my paper is about 90% done. the skeleton is done, i just need to write a conclusion and an abstract and fill in a few statistics and classical sources for stuff like my explaination of what inclusive fitness is and stuff like that. i left holes. and a bit of general editing of course. it's due monday. it's been exhausting to write it and i never want to read about game theory ever again... naw but i learned a lot about a topic i didn't know much about and i think i went beyond what the professor was expecting. 20 sources. 17 pages. needs about 3 hours cleanup work, maybe a little more. it'll be a good first third of a thesis in a couple semesters. it really ended up being more about game theory than deception which i did not expect but it took me where it took me i guess
Sounds like it was a good paper. Have you got any feedback yet?

I'm pretty swamped with stuff right now, and handed in another late paper today.

Next week I have my thesis proposal, and my thesis idea isn't even all that clear. I wanted to do some sort of experimental design that would have to do with implicit biases and policy preferences (had a bunch of different ideas, but couldn't decide on which I wanted to do), but my supervisor said it'd be hard to get the funding for an experiment. So, instead I may have to do a metastudy on experiments that already exist. That sounds boring as fuck but I already suspected that I wouldn't be able to do an experiment at the undergrad level.

Problem is, I would think that I would need to have a narrower scope and look at implicit biases in one specific issue (like how priming gender affects people's opinions on this issue or how priming race affects opinions on that issue), but my supervisor is actually saying that it should be more broad. I don't see how that will work. Like, I'm just going to write about biases and politics in general? How will I synthesize all these studies when they are all talking about different issues? It seems like I actually need a research question, because the question "how do implicit biases affect politics" is just way too broad. I dunno, I don't really trust my supervisor's instincts on this, but she's the expert.