View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 AM   #162
he/she/it
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spguitar0 View Post
Thanks! My singer killed himself in January after we went to Memphis,TN to record with Justin Rimer as producer/engineer. He does some amazing work in his small studio.
The bass was recorded over 2 tracks.
Cheap Mexican standard P Bass into an Eden World Tour DI then into an Avalon Pre and a 2nd signal out of the Eden into my Manley Core channel strip.
Guitars were primarily my PRS Singlecut into my Diezel Herbert. Another layer was an Orange Rocker 30 with my MXR Sub Machine Fuzz. 3rd layer at the intro of 727 was my Fernandes Decade Elite into a Supro 2x10 combo. The 2 primary guitar layers were triple mic'd with a SM57,421 and a Beyerdynamic M201.
Damn, really that sucks, what happened with your singer. A very rock way to go, but sorry to hear it, man.

Cool recording details. I think the MXR Sub Machine Fuzz might be contributing some of that nice crunch sound I'm hearing. Looking at a demo of that pedal, it sound awesome even on its own, very Pumpkins-like.

Another newer pedal that does that is the EHX Cock Fight. The newer production version of it (not the one in a wah-pedal chassis) has an internal switch that can be flipped to turn off the wah portion of the pedal and leave the fuzz portion on, when the switches on the front of the pedal are set a particular way.

That pedal has a Bias knob, which adjusts the voltage of the fuzz circuit to emulate the effects of a low-power battery, which can give a really spitty, gritty sound, that sounds very reminiscent of some early Pumpkins guitar tones. I'd guess that BC might've gotten an aspect of some song's sounds by using dying batteries in his pedals.