View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #108
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Shit, so you're pretty much rocking the site alone now hey? That's gotta be tough. I get that you report on stuff that you're genuinely into, but a site like that seems like it would be nonstop work. You don't really get to ever take a break or anything eh?
It pretty much has to be me covering all the daily 90's rock news. The issue with the daily news headlines is it has gotten so competitive with the algorithms now that even if a headline is slightly off nobody will read it (or see the Facebook post/Google News headline), I can't trust people who don't have the experience I do with doing that. You basically have to either be first or one of the first on a story, and it has to involve sex/drugs/nostalgia/emotion/hatred/be super cute or nobody will read it, and there have to be very famous names in the headline. I know I get a lot of shit for the types of headlines but I pretty much have to do it, there is no other option. People can thank Mark Zuckerberg for that.

What I could use though is more people writing editorials, and maybe doing some interviews as well (I've become too cynical about publicists to deal with them unless they're paying me to cover their unknown band), then I can figure out the headlines. I need to put up an open call for that. I'm also looking into having some podcast/video content soon, but it has to be done right and good. For videos I only really want to have female reporters doing them. Nobody wants to look at me blab on about this shit. I want to expand the type of stuff we cover too into more areas of rock and music, I'm trying to acquire some social media pages to expand that.

When it comes to the schedule I do not ever take complete off days no matter what. How I look at it is I don't have to go into a fucking office, so why should I have off days? Also having zero off days helps make up for the periods where traffic/money is down. The traffic can definitely fluctuate. It can be very stressful due to all of the variables of micro managing a lot of stuff but again I'm thankful to get to write about bands I love.

I also don't have to be sitting in one place for 10 hours or go to an office. I usually like working in the mornings and then going to the gym and then go for a swim/standup paddle board in the afternoon, then do some more work in evening. I also can travel and work, I was stopping at Starbucks to post updates on Chris Cornell's funeral when I was on a trip to Washington DC last year.

Last edited by WeilandFan : 03-01-2018 at 11:05 PM.