View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #169
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
more connected with classic rock than punk, big solos, sludgy guitars, moaning vocals, dark/depressing lyrics, flannel, long songs, generally depressing and overwrought and emotional - which is why i tend to splinter nirvana off from grunge proper because they are very punk and why i consider AiC, PJ and soundgarden to be "true grunge."

i mean you can cite specifics of why they're different bands but nobody's saying they all sound exactly alike, genres are general tags to group bands that have a similar style and usually the originators are all connected because they are all from the same place. i mean fuck it's really hard for me to figure out how someone can sit there and say that somehow genres shouldn't be linked by their place of origin because GUESS WHAT usually they are and this is definitely as true for grunge as it is for minor threat and black flag
a "scene" and a "genre" aren't really the same thing... basically I just think that the assertion that these bands share some sort of musical DNA is not very accurate except that they all have the common ancestors Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. There are some similarities which I see as coming from the general cultural zeitgeist at the time (e.g. hard rock revival, thematic obsession with pain and mental suffering), but I see a lot of these elements in other contemporary bands like SP or Hole, who are not from Seattle. If you ditch the quieter half of the songs on Gish, SD, and MCIS, I think SP sounds as much like any of these bands as they sound like each other. I mean in this thread we have like 4 different people arguing that grunge exists but Nirvana doesn't fit/Pearl Jam doesn't fit/AIC doesn't fit. No one knows what the hell grunge really is, because the term was invented to sell shirts.

Sure, they were in a scene together and shared a lot of fans and the members of the bands were all friends though, if that is what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i mean if pearl jam and soundgarden have nothing in common how come temple of the dog is so a-typically "grunge"
personally I don't think the songwriting on the TOTD album sounds like either Soundgarden or Pearl Jam