View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #206
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
to be fair, a LOT of modern music (especially blog rock and indie bandcamp genres) do nothing but ape something that already existed once before.

sometimes i feel like you're not supposed to be enjoying the actual music, instead you're just appreciating their choices and aesthetic decisions or level of commitment to a predefined style.

when fuzzy writes

"So I go on and download the album with much anticipation only to end up hearing the most vapid, basic, boring, unoriginal music I've ever heard. It pretty much sounded like a very tired, weak, dumbed-down version of _____"

i totally get that. of course its not true all across the board but its definitely happening. i mean, millenials generally don't give a shit about history or cultural context (about anything) so its all fair game to them. very interesting times.

i just got back from vacation so i've been lurking here and there and i really have no horse in this race but i just wanted to throw this out there.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I feel, but articulated a lot more clearly. Theres no doubt a lot of great bands out there still doing their thing but it's getting harder and harder to find. Even "new" music that I'm into that I discover is from guys who have been at it in the underground scene for ages.

I guess as far as upcoming new artists it's all about EDM. Band-based music just seems like something that is void of all originality these days... Nothing new and exciting at all. I just have a passion for a sound of a guitar, so even exploring electronic music doesn't really do anything for me.

Maybe I'll start incorporating guitar with electronic music in a unique way... Could be a way to reach the best of both worlds.

I