View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #65
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Helped a friend hook up and troubleshoot her stereo and she gave me a black vinyl pressing of Siamese Dream.
Quote:
There were approximately 4000 copies pressed on black vinyl in 1993, 1995, 1997, and 2004 (1000 units pressed each time). All using the same original plates. There are no repress markers and no indicators in the dead wax indicating any difference.
So stoked.
i never knew this about siamese dream.

i thought the repressing on black vinyl only came about somewhere in the (late?) 2000s. i never heard about the caroline version on black vinyl before that.
the info about the black vinyl on spfc.org was only added after copies on black vinyl appeared in the 2000s. surely, if the lp existed on black vinyl before the pressing after 2000, they would have had info on it, no?

i didn't know it was rare either.

i doubt that info on discogs (quoted) is correct. where did they get that?

https://www.discogs.com/release/1845...-Dream/reviews
i think this person is probably correct:
Quote:
I actually think this pressing is much newer than 1993, unless it was in production for well over a decade. I purchased my copy brand new at a Best Buy in Columbus Ohio during a brief time in which they carried LP's. This had to have been sometime around 2011. This is just a guess, but I would say this pressing is no more than 4-8 years old.

The first thing I did notice is that this pressing is really clear, and sounds great.

I find it weird that it is listed without an exact release date since it was purchased from a large retail store.

My gut feeling is that Carol just decided to print up some black vinyl version when records started getting popular again. So it's likely the exact same record as those colored ones, but newly produced black vinyl.
i also believe caroline repressed copies on orange vinyl around the same time.