View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i personally think Adore is the finest piece of music corgan has ever released.
imo every pumpkins album up until machina i&ii (many would beg to differ, i know) has its own artistic merit and is a fantastic album. but adore is a work of art that came straight from the bottom of the heart. i strongly disagree about any complaints that its noncohesive, or that it feels rushed.
i guess im truly biased because that album ranks way up there in my favourite albums\works of art of all time...
but still, i do think it flows exceedingly well from song to song, and there is (to me) not a weak track on the album. although i could see how people might dislike certain tracks - its not as slick as SD tracklist wise, thats true.. but it still has a very good flow.
i also dont really understand the comments about the rushed production and all that stuff;
i think the album has its own distinctive sound and its a good one at that.
true, its not the most clean cut sound you'll ever hear. but it elevates the songs and makes them work in interesting ways instead of playing it safe with only an acoustic, for example.
the production for 'tear' might be one of my only gripes about this album... it just doesnt do that song justice at all.

also, dont forget that Adore could have easily been a #1 chart breaking album. billy had Cash Car Star and LMGTWTY and he could have made some fairly safe choices but decided to go all the way with his artistic integrity.
not very wise commercially, perhaps, but at the time i truly respected him for that (respect that was dismembered later with Zeitgeist).

i will raise the obvious question that hasn't been asked yet:
it is a no-brainer that Kid A was ten times more experimental, esoteric and inaccessible
than Adore. how come Kid A was so huge and Adore tanked?
Kid A barely had any conventional songwriting at all, and if there was, it was masked with studio trickery and experimentation, whereas Adore still had a songwriting style that could still very easily fit mainstream crowds.
i guess it boils down to being in the right place at the right time and having the right people think the right things about you (this is not to downplay radiohead, just typing Kid A gives me chills ).