View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #58
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Yes, I'm just questioning that it means people are actually smarter or more that they're having cultural cultivation of potential that just wasn't valued as much before. That makes a lot more sense than that our fundamental intellectual capacities have increased over such a short period of time. And IQ tests would have you believe that they are testing potential, but if they are, then (if what I'm saying is correct) people's IQs should not be going up so drastically over relatively short periods of time. They aren't testing what they have aspired to test, in that case.
Yeah...at least that is what seems to follow from the aforementioned theory, anyway. If the average is having to be re-normed with every successive generation the idea that it is testing some kind of fundamentally innate, unchanging potential seems slightly suspect. I mean, it's possible that people with stellar fluid intelligence are out-competing others in mate selection AND making babies...but...probably not. (More likely, they're graduating college, maybe going to graduate school, enjoying careers better than the majority of humans, getting married...and only then having some or maybe no children at all....which might even be more likely to be autistic due to their old eggs and all. Then they'll join the Anti-Vaccer movement in an attempt to save the ignorant unwashed masses. You know, the DINKs and yuppies.)

On the other hand...just an observation which may or may not be an actual trend--I've noticed this thing amongst upper-middle-class and affluent families over the past 20 years or so, of building 3+ children families. Like having multiple children has become a status symbol of sorts, however subconscious or unintentional. It seems like working class folks increasingly may have 1 or 2 kids--having them pretty early on, and maybe not completely intentionally--but just stop there. It could simply be a practicality thing, as it does better calibrate with perception of the tremendous amount of resources needed to raise children up into adulthood as long term "investments".

Anyway...what do you bet BC will have a 3rd kid with Chloe?