View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 01:22 AM   #8
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but I think it is normal for memories to warp and fade over time. For instance, I recently read that children up to ~age 8 retain fairly intricate, detailed memories of their early childhoods (like reprise said, around 3/4), but after that our first memories begin to become hazier and more distant. I think most adults only have vague memories of being that age.

I have smoked a lot of weed and I honestly do not believe it has had any effect on my long term memory, although I think it is harder to form memories when you are stoned and it is obviously harder to recall things when you are stoned.

Memory is kind of a malleable thing, and I also know that each time we retrieve a memory from our mental library, we are exposing that "file" to the context of the present and thus actually changing the information in a way. This is how different people often remember the same event very disparately, or how we can have an acute memory of a certain event but be proven wrong.

It's pretty depressing when you think about it. memories are like misshapen ghosts of the past, and they only become more twisted and faded as time passes