View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #704
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoltitties View Post
With James (Iha, original guitarist) and Jimmy (Chamberlin, drummer) back in the band have the old band dynamics and working methods returned also ?
No! And I wouldn’t want them to (laughs)! The way we used to live and work was exhausting. Ultimately it was very unhealthy and unsustainable. With Solara I had Jeff record the guitars, I recorded the vocals, Jimmy came in and did the drums in one take. It took half a day, in the old days it would’ve taken weeks. We’re all professionals, we don’t need to spend weeks jamming and developing songs. We can come back to them. We have what Jimmy calls a “RERO model”. That’s release early, release often.

That’s a software development methodology right?

Right. Jimmy works with internet startups and we’re adopting some of what works there. The idea is MaaS, remember that because in a few years everyone will be saying it and I invented it. It’s music as a service, not music delivery but the actual music. We released [Solara] as soon as we possibly could and we’re really monitoring the KPIs and learning from them. In any other industry if the users don’t like something then that’s a problem, it’s a bug and you release a fix. So if people are saying something’s mastered too hot or needs a guitar solo or whatever we can release a 1.1 and 1.2 and so forth. It’s common sense really, I had a real lightbulb moment with this, but we’re the absolute first in this sector to do it.

So there’ll be a Solara 1.1?

Definitely. We’re still working on a way to get all of the feedback from everywhere converted into actionable data but yes there’ll probably be a few versions before we get it right. From what I’ve read people would like some tweaks to the mix and a denser arrangement. I kept version 1 very simple so that we could build on it based on user feedback, so it’s going to be really interesting to see where that takes the song. Ultimately with Solara we’re trying to learn what people want from a Smashing Pumpkins song in 2018. Once we’ve done a few iterations and the fans are happy we’re going to look at releasing the EPs.

If they are serious about this they would use that mailing list they have and email each fan. They just need to insert a short survey like the following and they could collate the data easily. If they are serious about it. But I doubt that somehow.

https://phorest.typeform.com/to/crS3Q3

Wait what? Where is all this from?