View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #81
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
So, people who have broken our immigration laws and raised their families here should be treated differently simply by virtue of them flagrantly flouting the law for years? Reward those who have broken the law and gotten away with it for so long that "well just let them stay because, well just let them stay."

The problem is that our current laws have been ignored for so long that we have the perpetual stampede as you described above. Every now and then, you have Reagan or Bush granting general amnesty with the caveat of "ok, you can all stay, but this time we really mean it, no more illegal aliens". It's a joke and everyone knows it. But if you suggest actually enforcing the law, then you are a xenophobic racist? WTF?
Yes, they should be treated differently, because they've already assimilated. They are already part of the economy and the community. Most are coming from harsh conditions in other countries and I do not blame them for breaking the law. Punishing people for breaking the law just because they broke it, when it would be easier for both them and our country to let them stay at this point (and not cause riots), is poor moral logic. Yes it's unfair wah wah wah, get over it. What's best for everybody in this situation is not kicking out 11+ million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
The obverse is that, as we let more poor people in, provide them with services, etc, our standard of living inevitably goes down. Everyone in central and south america cannot rise to the level of middle class America.
Of course they can't. But some people can. If we know who we are letting in, and have statistics on what they contribute and what they get in social services, how much schooling costs and housing costs etc change when population increases, we can create plans to ensure the economy doesn't suffer for the middle and working class. Documenting the illegals already here and offering them citizenship or a pathway to citizenship would be a first step to that.