View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #53
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Magnolia -

another one of those films i'd watched when i was too young to really be able to properly appreciate. it starts out incredibly strong. the storytelling in general is rather astounding, because to be able to tell so many stories simultaneously and not have them fuck each other up or weigh everything down with too many details - you have to be a great storyteller.
the game of thrones guys could learn a thing or two from p.t. anderson.

tom cruise indeed puts forth the best performance of his career, but it's mostly brilliant casting tbh. julian moore actually stood out for me, she put on a really great, moving performance and she's usually more forgettable in her movies.

anyway, the movie runs 3 hours long and while it's enjoyable and didn't feel like 3 hour at all for me, it probably could have benefitted from a little cutting. i'm ambivalent about how all the stories essentially go nowhere - there are no real resolutions to be found on most of them. but that's life, everything is meaningless and cyclic and doesn't matter, but it kind of makes you wonder what was the point, except for being entertaining. i dunno.

oh and that fucking retarded looking mustache guy playing the insufferably dull cop. what's up with that?
i literally wanted to punch him in the throat through the screen.