View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #46
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore View Post
On this day. ON THIS DAY. Open your ears, for Christ's sake. Nobody is denying that RSD brings in the cash, on the day itself. But overall? No. RSD does nothing to keep record stores open, in the long-term.

do you actually buy/collect vinyl yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore View Post
the people who are REALLY into vinyl - ie, not gimmicks - make purchases like this on a WEEKLY basis. Not having a swing at you, D. Just pointing it out.

gimmicks are not going to keep record stores alive.
I do collect vinyl but I'm pretty new to it. I've been spinning my dad's shit for as long as I've been into music. I haven't ever come out for RSD either. I'm not trying to butt heads for no reason, I guess I'm just not really sure I understand your position. Singular sales and advertising gimmicks are not about ensuring that businesses or entire industries are around in decades to come. But they do get people in the door and they do turn profit, which is obviously the goal and a good thing, since we want record stores to stay open. I don't think anyone was saying it was some sort of magic button to propel vinyl back to the forefront of music consumption. It's a sales gimmick. But it gets people excited, it gets artists excited, and it probably makes it a lot easier for shops to pay the rent this month.