View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #1605
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I might be you. It depends. Are you me?

Anyway, despite the fact that I've tried to make an effort to be as unambiguous about dates as possible now, I neglected to do that this time, and she's already involved. Which is honestly fine, I don't think was in the headspace for a date anyway, and I also don't think she was my type. However, we had a great conversation and both wanna be friends. She's kinda new to the city and wants to check out more of the arts and culture, and also we like picking each other's brains.
at least you have a friend! (tone: genuine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
well you could argue people might have been "happier" or "better off," which I think is what vix was saying, but those things are kind of hard to judge if for no other reason because nearly all recorded history until a few hundred years ago focuses exclusively on the rich and powerful and is dismissive of how all regular folks lived. But we can actually tell a lot about the physical factors people were exposed to from skeletal remains, and it's pretty safe to say that in general terms, the past was a lot more physically brutal.

Changes in labor organization, medicine, and nutrition have completely altered the physical hardships we are exposed to, especially in rich countries
I'm sure the past was more physically brutal, but the present is more mentally brutal

Now that we have all our basic needs sorted, we take them for granted and get stuck in our heads, overthinking our other problems