View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #535
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
half-relevant but i'm having this weird existential crisis where i'm remembering all the Weird Al bootlegs i used to collect and now they're just lost to time. should i find beauty or meaning in the fact that old footage is ephemeral? am i ever going to want to watch rock am ring 2019 again after downloading? the only reason we have footage of the 1955 world series is cause some guy set up a camera in front of his tv, and the whole game 5 is on youtube. and it's cool but like....would the world be meaningfully different if it weren't? 1994/05/23 pinkpop drum cam is one of the best things i've ever seen; it'd feel wrong to lose the footage now, but at the same time - it's totally accessible instantly and i haven't watched it in ages so like....why
more on this because i'm a crazy person:

i'm seeing two gigs[1] in NYC next week and am debating on recording them, or rather to what degree I should record them.

the last 4 gigs I went to, I just tried to be in the moment and record only a couple song clips on video for youtube/memories. the two before that, I got audio of the whole thing and took some photos. It seems like there's no correlation between archiving and enjoyment of the gig in retrospect.

Furthermore, listening back to bootlegs I made has the issue of evoking nostalgia; rather than just enjoying the recording for the recording, the music for the music, I think about where I was in my life at the time, miss the past, think about how annoying it was finding parking at the gig, how I felt after the gig emotionally [read: sadboi hours], meeting the singer and saying something dumb, etc. My life is too entwined in that recording.

If I listen to something like the SD record release show, there's none of that. Fuck, I wasn't even born. Some guy taped it and it sounds great yay! Not to mention the mystique of it being in the past, something I can only experience secondhand. It's almost ethereal - the perfection of the gig has been safely cemented in time, unencumbered by gritty reality.

fuck
_________

1: Hatchie and Alvvays. and cause i'm crazy and can't enjoy music unless I know how the songs go and/or I already like the band, I tried to brute-force obsess over the other bands on the bill [Japanese Breakfast (which went well cause they're great), the Courtneys (fucking every drum beat is kick/snare every song; great fuzz tones), Ellis (watched a radio session and I maybe should try harder)]