View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #44
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah... No arguments here.

I remember being soooooooooooooooooooo excited at the prospect of Weezer releasing a new album. There was so much hype and anticipation for their 3rd album. The online communities for Weezer in the late 90's were booming. It's a big reason why the label put so much promotion into the Green Album. It was clear that the appetite was there.

Much like Corgan, Weezer was doing the rounds touring again and a lot of the new material sounded promising and then what we got was the most cookie-cutter shit imaginable. People were happy to have Weezer back and touring, but the Green Album didn't go over well. It was about as formulaic as it can possibly get... And of course it's only been disappointment after disappointment after that.

I've said it many times, there's very strong parallels between Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer. I guess the only difference would be that The Pumpkins were much more famous whereas Weezers rise was kind of spontaneous and organic. Of course people liked the Blue album, but at the time they were still weren't as appreciated as they would be around 2000 before the Green Album.
Green Album was actually a pretty big hit at the time and went over relatively well with the fanbase. It's only in hindsight that folks are starting to realize it wasn't quite the comeback they/we deserved.

Whatever. Maladroit was a better album.